09 January 2012

Year 2, Day 9 (On The Road With A Light 3-Stopper)

I was up this morning at 0500 (ET), and my body was reminding me that it was 0400. I made my delivery, then - once my 10 hour break was over - made my way to Marysville, PA for my next load. This load was actually pre-planned on me yesterday (which came as a surprise), and has 3 drops on it: Goodlettsville, TN (just north of Nashville), Humboldt, TN (just north of Jackson), and Southaven, MS (just south of Memphis, TN). This load turned out to be light... really light... less than 11,000 lbs. All of it is baked good... pies, etc. I did go to their outlet store before they began loading me, and got quite a deal... all of this for just $7.65:

Though before I went to the customer, I made a few stops. My first was to get the trailer washed out, then up the road about 1 1/2 miles to scan my paperwork in from the previous load, and finally, to the grocery store - Giant Food Stores, to be exact (to whom I had delivered to this morning) - and, for the first time in a little over a year, splurged on a treat:

Because Boar's Head is a little pricey ($11.99/lb) I don't get it very often. Actually, this is the first time I've bought some since I've started working for my current employer, in who's service I have been for nearly 2 years. Over the years I have tried many different brands of deli meats from many different delis, and Boar's Head is - by far - the best I have tasted (Walmart's brand being the worst).

As I make my way to my first two drops (for Wednesday), then finish this load off on Thursday, I wonder where the roads will take me beyond that. So far I have (finally) driven through some snow, in Virginia. Not very much, but enough to keep me on my toes (light loads and slick roads DO NOT mix). Don't get me wrong, the roads aren't treacherous in any way, but as long as I respect the road/weather, I'll be just fine.

You know what would go great with my Boar's Head roast beef sandwich? An ice cold coke (you probably thought I was going to say a grande triple Marble Mocha Machiatto from Starbucks... but that's for dessert).

No comments: