14 January 2012

Year 2, Day 14 (771 Miles To Go)

Lou and I arrived at our Madison, IL terminal this morning about 0330 this morning, and finally got a good night's sleep. When we woke up, I had to get myself motivated, but finally went in to get a shower and do my laundry. I try to plan things in advance in order to make the best use of my time. Unfortunately, as it so happens, there were also other drivers that decided to do their laundry as well, which put a delay on my schedule. To top it off, one of the three dryers in the driver's lounge went on the fritz. After about 45 minutes, I finally got my clothes in to dry. I usually plan accordingly so that when I do laundry, I only have one load, thereby occupying only one washer, then one dryer. Sadly, there are drivers (even in this company) that do not share this same consideration for others, as they will accumulate about 3-4 loads worth of laundry... thereby occupying all the washers and dryers for at least an hour.

My clothes are drying now, so I should quit kvetching. Besides, it's been a peaceful - and quite brisk - Sabbath day. Temperatures are in the mid-30's here just outside of St. Louis, and several drivers (Lou being one of them) are in the tv room watching the Saints vs 49ers game, which has just begun. As soon as one of the company vehicles return, I just may make a Starbucks run before we head out.

When we do head out, there will be a sumptuous aroma emanating with the confines of the truck cab, as I am cooking a roast in the crock pot for tonight's dinner. A roast with some soy sauce & liquid smoke, pepper, chipotle seasoning, garlic, and onions. A little later I'll add the powdered gravy mix and potatoes, then put in the fresh mushrooms & green beans for the last hour.

I'm getting hungry just blogging about it.

No comments: