13 December 2011

Day 346 (Farewell, Randy)

This has been a long day. Leaving from Posotum, IL this morning and making it to Searcy, AR before their 1600 cutoff time. While we were there, I went to see an old acquaintance, Mark. Mark and I used to work together - indirectly, of course - back when I drove for another trucking company. During that time, Mark was a Customer Service Representative (CSR), one who made regular contact with the customers we hauled for, and one who would assign loads to trucks in his area. There were a few times when I was in Mark's area when he needed a "favor" (a.k.a. a load in urgent need of rapid delivery). Mark is now the supervisor over the Traffic Department at Land O Frost, so he's done well for himself.

Before we left Searcy, Randy said he needed to talk to me about something, which I had an idea of what it may be. He decided that perhaps being a truck driver isn't the job for him. He explained to me why he came to that decision: he saw that there are quite a few customers we deal with that aren't as efficient as they could be. His is a very legitimate point, one that I agree with... but I've learned to "improvise, adapt, overcome" (a valuable trait I've kept with me since my Marine Corps days). I sincerely believe that whatever Randy chooses to do from here, he will perform well at. I've seen that he has drive and focus, two keys things essential for success in any field. Be well and be blessed, Randy... you did well!

No comments: