23 April 2011

The Road Scholar - Day 112 (Boy, oh boy! - with guest blogger Chrisinda Lukens)

The guest blogger today is none other than Chrisinda Lukens of A Little Wicked and A Frantic Mom's Menu, a very gifted writer from Pennsylvania who's musings (and sometimes sudden mood swings) run the gamut - and are usually... well... as she puts it:

"Following along with my train of thought is a lot like watching one of those movies you need to watch a few times before you sort of get it."




My first pregnancy, I'll admit, part of me wanted a little girl. Even me, the queen of tomboys, had this secret desire for princess costumes and pigtails. Jasey Samuel was born. When I found out I was pregnant a second time I thought maybe I'd get a little girl this time. When I found out I was pregnant with twins my thoughts changed. Two girls at once? No way. Cormac Aaron and Kennedy Jay were born.

I have 3 sons. And at this point in time, with them being ages 7 and 3, I am so relieved it turned out this way. I am not sure I would even know what to do with a girl. Sure, I'm a woman. I wear dresses, make-up, heels and bras. I have no idea how to style my hair other than a ponytail, bun, braids or with one big barret. A girl with me would be doomed to a life geekiness. But my boys?

We play in the mud. I am known for my spur of the moment walks that involve rainboots and a camera. We have our good clothes. We have our play clothes. And then we have our “it's another one of mommie's moments” clothes.

There are epic battles in my home. And it usually involves lightsabers. Or katanas. Don't forget the Sai. Proton packs? There are no teaparties, dance recitals or piano lessons here. We declare Mortal Kombat while jumping off a couch to the sounds of Social Distortion playing in the background.

We spend 3 nights a week at our second home, the dojo. My oldest son was just a week younger than 5 when we joined. The twins were just over a year. Goju doesn't stay within the dojo walls either. It's in our home. It's in blood. It's in our heart and soul. It is our life.
It's just me and my boys here, and we are pretty chaotic and on the go. Sure, there is part of me that still dreams for that little girl in tutus. I bet she'd turn out to be one awesome little female. With those amazing big brothers to guide her along the way.






No comments: