22 April 2011

The Road Scholar - Day 111 (Coming home - with guest blogger Lori Flood)

Today's guest blogger for The Common Voice is Lori Flood of shesawake.com. Lori is a writer that spends a great deal over-thinking things and under-doing chores... but it makes her happy. If she had her way, she would be the ruler of the universe (which could be a problem for me, as I am TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD... BWAHAHAHAHA... uh, sorry) and would have a battalion of minions to do her bidding.
And her laundry.
You can read her musings over at She's Awake, where she blogs in pajamas - because her minions have yet to appear (they may be held up by customs agents... after all, she does live in Canada, eh?).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So.

I've been given free reign to write whatever I want to write about as a guest blogger on my friend Doug's blog.  Heh. Silly Doug.  Doesn't he know how dangerous that could be?  I mean, really.  I could come in here and mess his shit up big time.

But I won't.
I won't because I like Doug.

I've liked Doug for a while now.  He had something going for him that made me partial to him in the first place.  You see, Doug's a Truck Driver.  And I have kind of a soft spot in my heart for Truck Drivers.  I have a great deal of respect for them, and for what they are forced to put up with on the roads and on the highways every day.

Of course, I don't mean that all Truck Drivers are wonderful people.  Because that would be a total lie.  I've met some real assholes that drive truck for a living, too.  I just choose to forget those ones.

I worked with Truck Drivers for a long time. Day in and day out, I spent more time with them than their families got to.  That's not easy.  It's not easy for them, and it's not easy for the ones that they leave at home.  And I didn't even work with guys that were away from home for nearly as long as Doug is.

I can only now truly understand just how difficult it is to be so far away from the ones that you love.

How the word 'home' has a whole new meaning when you aren't there.


I've learned a lot of things from the truck drivers that I have known over the years.  But one of the things that I remember the most is that they know what home means.  Home isn't just a place that you go, it's a place that lives inside you at all times.

Home isn't a place, it's a feeling.  Home isn't about where you hang your hat, it's about where you hang your heart. 


To everyone who isn't home; for anyone that longs to be home; and especially to those that are at home waiting, I dedicate this post to you.

The love that you keep in your heart will ensure that you will always have a home to be at home in.  And that the ones that you love will forever be there with you, even when they are miles away.

Thanks, Doug.

Welcome home.

No comments: