06 August 2011

Day 217 (I've Missed This Part Of The Country)

This morning, our day started in Colby, KS, a small town on I-70, just 54 miles from the Colorado state line. Another beautiful Sabbath day, with mild weather (84°, as opposed to the 100°+ temperatures we've been enduring lately), and, of course, a grandé triple Marble Mocha Machiatto (extra hot) from Starbucks. We topped off the fuel and continued our westward journey.

As we made our way across the Colorado plains toward Denver, I did a little more experimenting with one of my favorite camera apps, Hipstamatic, where I got this shot of eastern Colorado (around Kiowa) from the passenger seat:




... then, using a different app (and you will see the difference), here is an area further west, toward Denver:




We made our way through the north eastern end of Denver, on made a pit-stop at Johnson's Corner, a well-maintained truck stop in Johnstown, CO (just south of Ft. Collins, on I-25). If you recall, from my post on Day 192, I blogged about the monster of a Reuben sandwich I got from Izzy's Deli. If you don't recall, here is the sandwich itself (and you will also see its weight):




The reason I brought up Izzy's 110 Reuben is I think I may have found the dessert to accompany the aforementioned sandwich should somebody find they are still hungry... though I find that to be highly unlikely. At Johnson's Corner, they have a cinnamon roll that is huge:




Though I'm sure there are people who make their rolls this size regularly, but Johnson's Corner is the only place I've seen that sells them this large (and at $12.99, that's a pretty good deal).

As an "added feature" to his training, I had Clinton take more of a scenic route. Most drivers will stay on I-25 to Cheyenne, WY, then jump on I-80 west to Utah. I, however, had Clinton get off the interstate in Ft. Collins and take CO 14 west, to U.S. 287 north, which will bring us to I-80 in Laramie. It may take a little longer, but it shaves off some miles, plus it has a really nice view.




On another note... this weekend will find the battle of the ages, a long held rivalry that may never be quenched: New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox. Yankees took it last night (3-2). Two more games to go. Where do I stand?

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

GO RED SOX!!!

- Another rant via BlogPress

No comments: