17 September 2012

Year 2, Day 248 (A Peaceful Day To Start Off A New Year)

I arrived just at midnight here in Clarksville, AR, though my delivery isn't until tomorrow. It turns out for the better, as today is Rosh HaShanah, the Jewish New Year. Unlike the Gregorian (or "civil") calendar that we commonly follow - which tell us it is the year 2012 - the Hebrew (or Lunar) calendar follows a different system of marking the years. According to Jewish tradition, the Lunar calendar dates back to when the ancient scribes and sages believe was the beginning of mankind. Therefore, the year we have just entered into is 5773... makes a little bit of a difference. There are still a few more weeks until the Torah study cycle begins again.

Anybody want to take up the challenge and join me in the weekly study portions? If so, let me know, and I'll be more that happy to share with you the weekly portions (especially if you are unfamiliar with them).

No comments: