14 September 2012

Year 2, Day 245 (I Really Enjoy This Weather)

While in Casper, WY the other day, I decided (since I didn't pick up my load until the next morning) to pull the bike out and go for a ride. This ride really kicked my butt, with several factors in play. First, my previous rides and been on hilly terrain (where I live), so I rode up the hills in low gear and coasted down the other side. In Casper, however, it was much more level, which meant I was constantly pedaling. There were other things against me. I had done some "self-maintanence" on my brakes some time earlier, only to find that I had adjusted the front brakes too much, and with sunset approaching, I didn't want to lose the available light... besides, I thought it would give me more of a workout. I got more than I bargained for. My route was just under 5 miles, which was a little short from my previous rides. Fortunately, the weather then - as today - was pretty mild and cool.

Upon a little research, I was fascinated about the origin of this particular trail I took. It is part of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy, which has converted old railroad branches to bike and walking paths (you can find out more about them at the above link), and have "rail-trails" in many states.

The Flying J truck stop (where my truck was parked) was just a short distance away from the mid point of the trail. I took Wyoming Ave north, to just the other side of I-25, where I entered the trail. At that point, the trail was still a dirt path, but once I headed west to Walsh Dr., was where it became a paved trail. I continued west on that and turned around between Lincoln and Grant streets. Needless to say, it was a harsh - but fulfilling - workout.

May your Sabbath be blessed with much joy and peace...

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: