10 November 2011

Day 313 (Happy Birthday Marines! We STILL Look Good For 236 Years Old!)



Today is a special day... a very special day. Today I step away from my usual banter relating to truck driving, training, etc. For today I reflect upon a subject that has become part of who I was, who I am today, and whom I will always be: a Marine. Today, as many know, is the Marine Corps birthday. To the common citizen, it's just another day worthy of some sort of recognition... but to those of us who have served in the Marine Corps, it has become the very fiber of our individual - and collective - identity. While going through boot camp, the history of the Marine Corps was drilled into us.



A history that is ripe with tradition, and rich with honor and integrity. Considering the humble beginnings since its foundation in Tun Tavern in 1775, it's no wonder we hold ourselves within a tightly knit brotherhood... we were established in the City of Brotherly Love - Philadelphia, PA. We have the heroes that have shaped our very image, from LtGen Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller to SgtMaj Daniel Joseph "Dan" Daly to (even most recently) Sgt Dakota L. Meyer,  as well as the battles that have forged our place in American - and world - history, such as the Battle of Iwo Jima and the Battle of Belleau Wood.  The things we learned in boot camp, the experiences we shared in training, and the unbreakable bonds we made in battle will forever make us unique in the civilian world.

My wife shared this video with me recently. Watching it only stoked the flames of pride and honor within me that I hold the most revered and respected title of U. S. Marine. This video was made by the great people at The Warrior Song (whom also granted me the permission to post the video) and were able to capture the very essence of a Marine within a 6 minute music video.

Happy Birthday, my brothers and sisters!!




The U.S. Marine
No greater friend,
No worse enemy

No comments: