19 May 2012

Year 2, Day 140 (Great Scenery, Great Weather)

I had Dillard take over the driving duties from Tulsa yesterday, and he brought us all the way to Colby, KS, just a little over 50 miles from the Colorado state line. We arrived there at 0315 this morning and shut down for our 10 hour break. We were up again at around 1130 (due to the call of nature), and milled around until it was time to head out. I went inside to partake of the offerings inside the Starbucks at the truck stop where we parked. The weather was wonderful, especially for lunch time. My WeatherBug app was showing it to be 63°, whereas in the Arkansas town with which I and my family currently reside was gauging at 88°. Though (on a different note) while I was perusing through Facebook and GetGlue last night/this morning, I was shocked to learn - albeit a month late- of the passing of another great musician. On this day just last month was the passing of saxophonist Greg Ham (for those of you unfamiliar with this name, he was the saxophonist - as well as other instruments within his repertoire - for the 80's band Men At Work). This was a surprise for me, as I was a fan of his work.

One of the things I really enjoy about being a truck driver trainer, is the opportunity to capture some good photographs on the road... especially when my student is doing the driving. I have several different photography apps on my iPhone, two of my favorites being Hipstamatic and Instagram. On the former, I'm able to interchange the films, lenses, and flashes. On the latter, I can apply different effects in order to bring out more depth to the shot. Both of these shots were taken today in Colorado, just north of Ft. Collins, using the above apps, in order of their mention:








Photography has always been nothing more than a hobby for me. I would like to get more involved, but for that I would have to get a more suitable device for it. Two cameras I wouldn't mind getting are the Canon Rebel T2i (which is presently a little out of my price range), and the Leica M9 (which is definitely out of my price range). One day I may be able to get one of them, but until then I'll just have to settle with what I can do on my iPhone 3GS.

- Posted by me

No comments: