11 January 2011

The Road Scholar - Day 11


I sit here in Robards, KY picking up a load bound for Lowell, AR. Robards, a small town about 60 miles east of Paducah and 35 miles south of Evansville, IN, doesn’t really have much to offer by way of culture, but for a place to get away from the hustle & bustle of the big city – this would be ideal. Not the type of country setting I prefer, as I would be more drawn to the northern states (Montana would be more to my liking… or Minnesota… or Wisconsin). However, if there were any one place I would like to live, considering money were not an obstacle, it would probably be Cape Cod, MA. When I first began this life of a truck driver, I ran team (1 truck, 2 drivers, sharing the driving duties) with a classmate from the driving school we both attended.
One particular run we had took us to south central Massachusetts. Once we got unloaded, as it turned out, we ended up getting laid over. Stan called and asked, since we had to wait until the following day, if he/we could visit his mom who lived 45 minutes away (at least that what he told the company – she was actually 1 1/2 hrs away). With their approval, we headed to Bourne, MA, a VERY quaint little town just across the bridge in Cape Cod. For mid-June, a more than welcome 54° is what the night offered. The next day, Stan gave me a tour, making stops in W. Yarmouth,
Barnstable, and Woods Hole, where you can catch a glimpse of Nantucket in the distance, a great view of Martha’s Vineyard, and eat the most amazing stuffed quahogs. Woods Hole was exactly what you would envision a coastal fishing town to look like, complete with the strong briny air that overwhelms your nostrils. That visit was the first, and, to date, ONLY time I had seen a lobster roll sandwich on the menu board of the local McDonald’s. It is the experiences like these that make the job of a truck driver – at least for me – such an enjoyable job. In future posts, I will share more of these memories, since, if I shared them all in just a few, then I would quickly run out of “padding material” – after all,
isn’t that what most blogs consist of? 
There are a few blogs that are exceptions to the afore mentioned note. One such blog I have just recently discovered via Twitter – and it’s one I really enjoy! I’ll admit, I’m not one of those “social media gurus” (though I find it difficult to put much trust in such self aggrandizing titles, let alone the ones who use them). In fact, I’m rather new to blogging itself. But one fellow (though I hesitate to use said term in reference to a writer of the opposite sex) blogger, whom not only refrains from using such titles, but probably abhors them (as I surmise from her recent diatribe concerning Klout), is Lori Flood (check it out – it’s refreshing, honest, and REAL!). Well, it’s now snowing here in Kentucky, so I shall close here, sit back and watch the flakes as they flutter about before their final descent. And it’s a good thing my doors are locked, I think I just heard someone begin to play “Dueling Banjos” in the distance.

No comments: